The San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium relies on abstracts to help establish its programming each year. Scholarships and travel awards play a big role in helping many young researchers and clinical scientists attend to present their proposals.
SABCS and its co-sponsor, the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) last year presented 30 researchers with scholarships and travel awards to attend SABCS18. This year two new memorial scholarships are being offered: The Arti Hurria Travel Awards created in memory of Dr. Arti Hurria who was killed in an auto accident before the conference, and the Coltman Scholarships named after SABCS co-founder Dr. Charles Coltman who died in December.
“A lot of people don’t have money for travel,” said SABCS Co-Director C. Kent Osborne, MD, director of the Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. “If they’re a young person, they may not have any grants yet. We’re hoping the scholarships help attract more young doctors and clinical scientists to submit abstracts to our meeting.”
Scholarships are available to abstract presenters and the deadline for submitting an abstract is July 8.
The following awards are available:
- Arti Hurria Travel Awards — Created in memory of Dr. Arti Hurria and in recognition of her commitment to the mentorship and training of the next generation of geriatric oncologists. For geriatric oncologists-in-training.
- Coltman Scholars — In memory of Dr. Charles A. Coltman, co-founder of SABCS, to commemorate the significant contributions he made to oncology medicine. For clinical scientists-in-training.
- SABCS Clinical Scholars — For clinical scientists-in-training who are actively pursuing clinical or clinical/translational research in breast cancer.
- SABCS Basic Science Scholars — For laboratory-based investigators-in-training whose work focuses on the biology of breast cancer and preclinical models of its development and progression.
- AACR Scholar-in-Training Awards — For presenters of meritorious abstracts who are Association Members of the American Association for Cancer Research.
Details on scholarship requirements and eligibility can be found at the following link.